The Old Rough and Ready Hotel
Built after the 1854 fire by Mary Downey, one of Rough and Ready’s first settlers, the Downey House was the primary building in the town. It was reputed to be a very popular place to hold celebrations and banquets for many years. The upper left (in photo to the left) was a dance
hall with the store and bar on the first
floor, along with the Hotel lobby and
Post Office. The proprietors at the turn
of the century were Sam and Rose
Fisher. The hotel operated until 1946
and shortly thereafter was dismantled.
A new building housing the
Rough and Ready Market was
constructed on the site in 1948.
About the same time the surrounding
property was developed into the
Rough and Ready Mobile Home Park.
The Rough and Ready Market and
Deli now located on the site is a popular meeting
place, where tourists get a chance to swap stories with local porch-sitters.
Post Office Box 801
Rough & Ready, California 95975
Rough and Ready
Chamber of Commerce
The Rough and Ready Hotel (1910)