Following the devastating fire of 1853, the hotel was built in 1854 by Mary Downey, one of Rough and Ready's first settlers. The Downey House was the primary building in the town. It was reputed to have been a very popular place to hold celebrations and banquets for many years. The upper left side was a dance hall with the store and bar on the first floor, along with the Hotel lobby and Post Office. The proprietors at the turn of the century were Sam and Rose Fisher. The hotel operated until 1946 and shortly therafter was dismantled.
PHOTO ABOVE: The Rough and Ready Hotel (1910). PHOTO TO RIGHT: The Hotel and Main Street (now Rough and Ready Highway) looking north toward Rough and Ready Grade. The tree on the right is reputed to be the town's "Hanging Tree" for miscreants. The tree on the left is the Slave Girl Tree.
Rough and Ready Chamber of Commerce l P.O. Box 801 l Rough and Ready, California 95975 l Telephone (530) 797-6729
The Great Republic of Rough and Ready
The Rough and Ready Hotel
A new building housing the Rough and Ready Market was constructed on the site in 1948. About the same time the surrounding property was developed into the Rough and Ready Mobile Home Park.
Although the Market is currently closed, the front porch is still a popular meeting place for locals.